October 16, 2010

Scotch Fillet Beef Steak with Juicy Orange, Beetroot & Tomato Salad



THE NAKED CHEF.  No, not me.  These three cheeky words refer to the TV cooking series by Jamie Oliver in the late 90s, of course.  Since then, they have become synonymous with the Welsh celebrity chef who speaks with a cute pronounced lisp.  I have been revelling in his awesome cooking shows for almost a decade now.  If I could name any one particular chef who has managed to singlehandedly break down all barriers of complicated cooking, it will unquestionably be Jamie Oliver.

I could say this Scotch Fillet Beef Steak with Juicy Orange, Beetroot & Tomato Salad dish I created has been inspired by Jamie. I love salad but after each intake, ironically I would often feel uneasy rather than pleased for having eaten something so raw and healthy.  One day, I nabbed the culprit - it's the salad dressing!  The mayonnaise, cream and heaven-knows-what-else those manufacturers put in their products have left my tummy feeling queasy most times.  And then, I'm vinegar-intolerant. If those aren't reason enough to start making my own salad dressing, I don't know what will. 

So, when I watched how Jamie easily made salad dressing out of orange juice, I screamed EUREKA!    


Beef so tender, salad so refreshing. 
Through this dish delicious, healthy food has taken on a new meaning.
 

Ingredients:

(Single serving)
200 grams scotch fillet beef steak
1 cup rocket salad
3 leaves red leaf lettuce, shredded
3 leaves green leaf lettuce, shredded
2 tomatoes, diced
3 slices canned beetroot, diced
1 orange
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste


Preparation:

1. Season beef with salt and pepper.  Pan fry with a dash of olive oil over medium heat for 7 minutes on each side.  When cooked, take beef off the pan and slice it in 2cm strips.

2. Put all vegetables into a salad bowl and splash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.

3.  Cut orange into halves.  Squeeze juice of half orange on the salad vegetables, scrape the remaining orange flesh from the skin and drop them into the salad.  Peel skin off the other half of the orange.  Dice the flesh and add the to salad.

4.  Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.  Toss the salad to combine the ingredients well.  Ready to serve with the beef.


Tips:

- Don't be afraid to toss the salad with your clean hands.  It makes the ingredients come together nicely.
- If you prefer a well-done steak, increase the beef frying time for each side by about 5-7 minutes.


Fearlessly Simple & Home Cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment