November 23, 2010

Lamb Chop with Cheesy Flat Mushroom & Salad



I put this meal together by accident. I mean, when I opened my fridge and saw lamb, mushrooms, cheese, yada, yada, yada I didn't have a clear concept of what I'd do with them.  I stared long and hard at those ingredients, long enough for my fridge to beep deafeningly, signalling that I'd left the door ajar for a while (and I think I heard it exclaim, "Make up your mind for a meal now!").  As I shut the fridge door and shifted my glare to the kitchen top, images of my favourite celebrity chefs (read: Jamie Oliver, Curtis Stone and the likes) played in my head.  Sorry to disappoint you, I wasn't fantasizing anything for mature audience only but I was recollecting recipes I've seen them make with similar ingredients I had on hand at that time.  Pure thoughts all the time!

I love the meaty and succulent taste of this Large Flat Mushroom
(Photo credit: taste.com.au)

Greek salad used to be my top favourite salad.  But eversince I started using freshly squeezed orange juice for my DIY salad dressing, I've never looked back.  It's so organic and refreshing.  I've managed to seduce my husband into loving orange salad as his ultimate favourite too.  I see that as an achievement because he's a true blue salad eater who most certainly knows what he wants in his greens.  So, there.  I would like to be a contender for "Swing Your Husband to Like Your Salad" reality TV contest, if there's any.  

I've never loved lamb so much until I came to Australia.  You can't blame me for having developed frequent "lamb cravings" because the meat here is so fresh, sweet and succulent everytime.  It's got to do with the fact that Australian lamb is entirely grass-fed, reared on pasture. Marvellous!  As we have heaps of rosemary growing in the garden, I didn't have to think twice about seasoning the lamb for this dish with the magical herb. The aroma is so delectable and therapeutic that it's almost aromatherapy on the grill.  And that flavourful, cheesy mushroom - I can't find a suitable expression to tell you how heavenly it is.  You've got to try it to understand my speechlessness.    


Ingredients:
(Serves 1)

250g lamb chop
1 large Flat Mushroom - remove stalk
3 tbsp shredded Mozarella cheese
2 leaves iceberg lettuce
2 leaves red lettuce
1/2 cup rocket salad
1 tomato - wedged
1/2 fresh orange
1 stalk fresh rosemary (optional)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste


Preparation:

1.  Season lamb with salt & pepper.  Heat pan with 1 tsp olive oil.  Fry lamb (or grill it if you prefer) with rosemary herb on low-medium heat for 7-10 minutes on each side, then fry each side again on high heat for 2 minutes until lightly charred but meat is still tender.  Remove meat from heat.

2.  Season mushroom with salt & pepper.  Using the same pan (with the lamb flavour), sautee the mushroom 3-4 minutes on each side or until mushroom is softened and cooked.  Remove mushroom from heat.  Turn mushroom so the flat head is resting on a plate.  Sprinkle mozarella cheese onto the mushroom and microwave on high for 5 seconds (just enough for the cheese to melt onto the mushroom).

3.  In a salad bowl, combine all vegetables.  Add 2 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper.  Squeeze orange juice onto salad, scrape the leftover orange pulps and add them to the salad.  Toss salad to harmonize the ingredients.

4.  Serve lamb, mushroom and salad on a plate.


Tips:

- You can vary the vegetables for salad to your liking.
- Orange can be substituted with lemon or grapefruit.
- Serve with BBQ/ketchup/chilli sauce, if desired.


Fearlessly Simple & Home Cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment