November 11, 2010

Berry Sweet Dreams Tiramisu-in-a-Cup


I received feedback from several friends in Singapore that while they're smitten by how easy it is to make Tiramisu from my home made video, mascarpone cheese has proven to be either costly in Singapore (which means it's cheaper to buy Tiramisu per se) or mysteriously elusive.  Poor things! I felt an urge to salvage them from their predicament.  I mean, when something is almost effortless to make, one must try it against all odds.  So, like a superheroine on a "keep cooking skills alive!" mission, I embarked on a reading adventure for alternative recipes for Tiramisu.


This version of Tiramisu gives me a feeling like I'm eating a yoghurty ice cream. 
A nice sensation especially when the berries burst in the mouth

Like a stroke of genius divine intervention, help came in the most convivial way.  I was grocery shopping at Coles when a neat display of recipe books in the freezer poked my curiosity.  Yes, books in freezer.  It's not an everyday sighting, is it? What attracted me more was this notice: FREE with any purchase of 3 Philadelphia cheeses.  I wasn't thinking about buying cheese when I entered the supermarket but as any Marketing guru would gladly tell you (and being a Marketing graduate myself, I should've known better) women's buying behaviour is very peculiar.  Actual purchases will often veer very far from the original intent.  I was about to prove that Marketing theory right. 

Needless to say, I ended up with 3 cream cheeses that I hadn't planned on buying.  As though aiming for a self consolation, I actually heard myself say, "No regrets, this could be part of your heroic mission".  Going by the printing date on the recipe book, it just got off the press with a RRP of nearly A$40.  Price for the 3 cream cheeses?  Just under A$12. Ka-ching! Smart shopping or impulse purchase, either way a free glossy recipe book is to me, a treasure to behold (another self-consolation, I fear).  And then like a happy ending to a sweet dessert fairy tale, I found the alternative Tiramisu recipe right there in the book.  Using the cream cheese I had impulsively purchased and as if on cue, I heard Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" throbbing in my head as I tried out this version of Tiramisu.

PS: This one tastes quite different from the conventional Tiramisu.  After trying both types, you decide which one you prefer.

The free recipe book by Philadelphia.  I'm on a recipe book addiction, somewhat!

Ingredients:
(Makes 4 glasses)

250g Philadelphia cream cheese (or any brand) - softened at room temperature
4 tbsp castor sugar (more if you prefer it sweeter)
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 punnet combined berries (raspberries, blueberries & strawberries)
8 savoiardi biscuits (sponge fingers) - break into halves, lengthwise
1 bowl of hot instant coffee
Finely chopped chocolates/ cocoa/ drinking chocolate for garnishing


Preparation:

1.  Whisk cream cheese with sugar until combined.

2.  Add egg yolk and vanilla essence, whisk until mixture is completely smooth.  Be careful not to whisk for too long to avoid a watery outcome.

3.  Put berries at the bottom of the serving glass.  Pour a good amount of the cream cheese mixture until just before the brim.

4.  Dip the savoiardi biscuits quickly into the hot coffee (do not soak the biscuits) and place 3-4 pieces upright into the cream cheese mixture in the serving glass.  Sprinkle with chocolates.  Serve immediately.


Tips:

- This dessert takes only 10-15mins to prepare, so make it only just before serving time.
- Frozen berries can be used but thaw them ahead of use to avoid melted ice at the bottom of the glass.



Fearlessly Simple & Home Cooked

2 comments:

  1. Visiting your blog is always a treat! I love your recipes and your beautiful photos. I will definitely give this recipe a try!I hope you could add this tiramisu widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about Tiramisu, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your beautiful comment, Alisa! I will certainly add this to the Tiramisu widget and more. Grateful for your suggestion. I've a backlog of recipes yet to post ;)

    ReplyDelete